Submit A Project Idea
The Green Initiative Fund (TGIF) is a grant-making fund for UC Irvine sustainability projects supported by a quarterly student fee. Projects are selected by a Grant-Making Committee composed of students, and non-voting staff and faculty.
Any award given by The Green Initiative Fund (TGIF) does not represent the views and/or opinion of the TGIF Funding Board, University of California, Irvine; Regents of the University of California, and/or its affiliates.
Any UC Irvine undergraduate may submit a project application.
All projects must meet the following requirements as established by the TGIF bylaws:
- Only a UC Irvine undergraduate may submit a project application.
- TGIF funding will not support projects already mandated by law or UC Irvine policy directive.
- TGIF By-laws (Article XI) list items will be denied funding. This list could change at any time. (tgif.asuci.uci.edu/documents)
- Projects must directly address environmental sustainability on the UC Irvine campus. Preference will be given to projects that:
- Demonstrate the greatest reduction in UC Irvine’s environmental impact for the least cost.
- Include strong student involvement.
- Are able to repay the funds or obtain matching funds.
- Are collaborative, done by two or more UCI organizations.
- Go above and beyond minimum requirements and that are unable to gain funding from other sources. (Consult the UC Policy Guidelines for Sustainable Practices for more information)
- Budgets must include links to all items being purchased, with details of vendor.
- Projects must have publicity, education, and outreach considerations
- Projects must have a mechanism for evaluation and follow-up after funding has been dispersed. At minimum, a project plan must include a report made to the Grant-Making Committee after implementation. If a project is expected to have ongoing benefits such as annual cost savings, the project plan must include a mechanism for tracking, recording, and reporting these benefits back to the Grant-Making Committee.
- Projects must take photos at any funded events and submit a post-event report to the TGIF External Affairs within five days after the event. The post-event report form is located on the TGIF website.
- Refer to Complete vs. Incomplete application examples below.
- Preference will be given to projects that demonstrate the greatest reduction in UC Irvine’s environmental impact for the least cost.
- Preference will be given to projects with strong student involvement.
Project Deadlines 2019-2020
Completed applications must be emailed in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by MIDNIGHT for each of the deadlines; please put the name of your project in the subject line. Questions or comments may be directed to the Sustainability Commissioner, Chloe Zheng, at email@example.com
Week 2: 10/11/19
Week 5: 11/1/19
Week 8: 11/22/19
Week 2: 1/17/20
Week 5: 2/7/20
Week 8: 2/28/20
Week 2: 4/10/20
Week 4: 4/24/20
Week 6: 5/8/20